First Embrace Conference fosters racial education and discussion

By Sophie Saint-Firmin, news editor

Asbury University’s first annual Embrace Conference is sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Affairs on Nov. 13-14. The objective of the conference is to help create a space for education and discussion around issues of race relations on Asbury’s campus. The events will explore what social redemptive action is in the context of Christian faith and what that can look like in today’s world.
“We hope we can all learn and grow together in ways that better equip us to serve our communities,” stated Esther Jadhav, associate dean of Intercultural Affairs.
The schedule features events and talks held in the Student Center, the Johnson Cafeteria’s Gray Room and chapel. This year’s theme is “Redemptive Social Action” and will feature keynote speaker Dr. Christina Edmondson, dean of Intercultural Student Development at Calvin College and an active voice for racial relations. Her speeches and writings have been featured on Essence.com and in Gospel Today Magazine. On Nov. 13 at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Center, there will also be a live recording of an episode of the Truth’s Table podcast — a podcast by three black women who talk about race, politics, current events and Christian faith.
The conference has a registration fee of $50 but is free for Asbury students with their IDs. For questions, email embraceconference@asbury.edu.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]