An ode to the undecided

The double standard for young people never ceases to amaze me. 

We are expected to go from raising our hands to use the bathroom to deciding at least a rough plan for the rest of our lives all in about four months. How often during welcome week did we go around a circle and introduce ourselves with our most defining characteristic— our major? 

Without fail, every time the circle came to an undecided student, there was a slight hesitation before they dared to say the word, as if it were a confession of some shortcoming. 

What if we don’t have to know exactly what we’re doing with the rest of our lives between the ages of 18 and 22? What if our major doesn’t have to determine our career?

In his book, Range: How Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World, journalist David Epstein suggests that it might be better to be a generalist, who has studied broadly, than a specialist who considers themself an “expert” in one field. He says it is better to prioritize a broad education first, saving specialization for much later in life. 

Epstein shares statistics showing that generalists are more hirable and more efficient in problem-solving, and they even end up making more money and gaining more social capital later in life if they eventually specialize (even over those who began specializing at a young age).

Epstein himself is an example of this, a two-time New York Times Bestselling Author who studied Astronomy and Environmental Science during his undergraduate years. What were those two books about? I’ll give you a hint. Not Astronomy or Environmental Science. 

So, I have a proposition. 

What if those who are unsure of what they want to do during and after their time at Asbury choose a major not based on what will prepare them for a specific career but what will form them into the person they want to be? 

Prioritize the mindsets and skills that you want to acquire during your undergraduate degree and choose a degree that will equip you with those skills. As cheesy as it sounds, pick a degree that will make you the person you want to be rather than stuff yourself into an occupational box. 

The best part about the structure of courses here at Asbury is that general education courses can be done before declaring your major. Study broadly before you choose what to study specifically.

Even for those who do feel comfortable with their choice of major, why should you have to narrow yourself? Try those things outside of your degree that have always caught your eye. In his book Epstein says, “We learn who we are in practice, not in theory.” I say let’s practice. 

Take anthropology just because it sounds interesting. Audition for a play. Join the ASL Club. Does it sound like something you might even kind of want to do? Try it. 

I am a generalist through and through. I’m a double major in English and Sociology, and if I could major in more and maintain my sanity, I would. I act in theatre productions and films on campus. I make money taking photographs. I play dungeons and dragons and I eat obscure podcasts for breakfast. I learn for the sake of learning. 

And guess what? I don’t know what I am doing with my life after I earn a degree. 

I have ideas, even more since being at school, but none of those ideas are certain. So, for all the generalists like me and especially my undecided friends on campus: breathe. Just try things. 

I think we might be better off in the long run.