Heaven isn’t an escape hatch

“I just can’t wait until we’re in heaven and don’t have to deal with this kind of thing anymore.” 

This was a loved one’s reaction to news coverage of the murder of George Floyd back in 2020. Nods and hums of agreement circled the room as we sat down to eat. “Call me crazy,” I interjected, “but maybe we don’t have to deal with this on earth.” Silence and stares met me. I did not say another word for the rest of dinner. 

“Broken world” is a phrase thrown around a lot these days. A war breaks out, another mass shooting, people die from preventable diseases, and Christians respond with, “Well… we live in a broken world.” As if the world’s brokenness is an excuse for us not to fix it. 

For many, Heaven has become something to look to so that no one has to do anything about the horrors on earth.

How can a person read Isaiah 1:17 and turn a blind eye to blatant injustice in the world? How can anyone wait for heaven to see the restoration we’re commanded to bring? 

“Learn to do good; Seek justice, reprove the ruthless, defend the orphan, plead for the widow.” That is what Scripture tells us. 

“The ruthless” – like the political tyrants who perpetuate violence, oppression, and war. The men who prioritize personal power above all else. “The orphan” is like those kids in the foster care system who will be perpetually ignored and neglected. The children who are, frankly, less cared for than the unborn. All of this brushed past because “it’ll all be better in heaven.”

The Oxford Dictionary defines escapism as “the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy.”

We often treat Heaven as the Christian fantasy that comes from unpleasant realities. The future goodness of Heaven is not an excuse to ignore the solvable issues here on earth. 

In fact, almost all of Jesus’ moments of condemnation and talk of Heaven and Hell were toward the religious leaders that were not caring for the poor and marginalized. Sharing the Gospel is so often focused on personal salvation to the point that Jesus’ other teachings are completely overlooked. Like the entirety of the sermon on the mount that many now label “the social gospel.”  

During a sermon, I heard a pastor say how often he’s told the phrase, “We can’t be so earthly-minded that we’re no heavenly good.” He then turned it on his head and said that we also couldn’t be so heavenly-minded that we’re no earthly good. 

The gospels talk less about a faraway kind of Heaven and focus on present and tangible goodness. They discuss caring for the poor, healing the sick, and meeting the needs of the marginalized here and now. Most mentions of heaven are of the kingdom coming to earth, not humans dying and going to some distant city of clouds and gold. Jesus didn’t approach the blind man and say, “accept me into your heart, and you’ll see me in heaven.” No, Jesus knelt in the dirt. He put his hands in the mud. And he met the physical needs of the man in front of him. 

The Lord’s prayer says, “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Not “thy will be done when we get to Heaven.”

If God’s will is justice, we do justice here on earth. 

If His will is equality – we call out prejudice in all forms. 

If His will is to care for the orphan and the widow and call out evil in positions of power. We do it here and now.

Heaven can’t be an escape hatch anymore. It’s time to bring Heaven to Earth as we were always meant to do.