Asbury University men’s soccer wins over Mt. St. Joseph

Another season of the Asbury Eagles men’s soccer is underway. On Sept. 4, the Eagles secured their second win so far against the Mt. St. Joseph Lions.

Senior Ryan Kim scored Asbury’s first goal, followed by another from sophomore Jason Flaming. The Eagles won the game 2-1, with Salat Kipterit being awarded the title, “Player of the Game.” 

“A hard-fought victory, I must say,” said senior Braden Insko. “Even though our team missed a few chances, we were able to rally together as a squad, overcome adversity and get the win, the right way.”

When asked about the state of the team this year, Insko said, “I love our team this year… Just seeing this team chemistry and culture blossom is phenomenal to see. Our captains, Jon, Alexis and Jason really are the glue for this team, and it’s very evident by their actions and what all they bring to the table.”

As far as younger talent to watch out for, Insko added, “Some upcoming talent has got to be Crosby Short, who is a junior this year, and also, I would say, Jason Flaming, a sophomore and Grant Slater, a freshman.”

“Our goal is to win our conference, the CCS, and get an NCAA Divison 3 tournament bid,” said Insko. “It’s our first year in the conference, and we are the only team in Asbury history that will be able to play in its ‘first’ everything. So we want to steward that well and just be able to have an opportunity to pursue that potential reality.”

“To the student body, we want to tell you that we need your support this season,” said Insko. “Get rowdy, get loud and enjoy the show. Get to know us guys as people because this is a good group of guys that I love playing alongside and that I get to call my brothers. We need your support. You are all our 12th man out on the field. We love you all. Go Eagles.”

The team’s next games are against Warren Wilson on  Sept. 14 and Blackburn College on  Sept. 17, both at 4 p.m. right here in Wilmore, KY.

Photo courtesy of AU Athletics.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]