Asbury University volleyball wins against Kentucky State

It’s a new season for Asbury volleyball, and the Eagles have come out swinging. On Sept. 5, Asbury won their third match, this time against the Kentucky State Thoroughbreds, with only one loss so far. 

The first two sets went Asbury’s way, both ending with a score of 25-17. After a slight misstep in set three, losing 21-25, the Eagles were able to close out the match with a devastating 25-12 score.

“We were just firing on all cylinders,” said junior Lucy Kate Gray. “The team this year’s just a whole lot more exciting. The skill level’s increased.”

The state of the team looks like it’s on a positive trajectory. “We had 10 incoming freshmen, so there’s 24 players on the team now,” said Gray. 

When asked about the incoming freshmen and who to keep an eye on, Gray said, “My sister’s one of them, her name is Sarah Beth, and she’s my position also. We’re both setters… I would say Isabelle VandeSchraaf. She’s an outside hitter… Abigail Bruner, a new middle blocker. Really really smart; court awareness is excellent… And then Sophie Glushchak, she’s our right side, and she’s really sound and a good player.”

However, the freshmen aren’t the only exciting part of this team. The upperclassmen are making sure to pull their share of weight too. When asked about the team’s leaders, Gray said, “Emma Grace, my other sister. She’s a senior this year. And Riley McChord, junior. Is it bad to say myself? And then Sidney Haysley. We’re the four captains.”

“I for sure want to make it to post-season,” said Gray when asked about her goals for the 2024 season. “We do get to play in the post-season tournament regardless, but for the NCCAA, you have to win 50 percent of your games, which I feel good about, honestly. So, I really really hope we can play in that. And then, just for the girls to continue becoming a sisterhood, and just good community… I just never want to lose that.”

As far as her message to the rest of the Asbury student body, Gray said, “We need your support. We would love to have you there as much as we can. Also, thank you for showing support and coming to our games. It’ll be exciting. We want to be there to show out for them.”

The Eagles play again on Sept. 6 at Union College, but their next home game is against Berea College on Sept. 11 at 7 p.m.

Photo courtesy of AU Athletics.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]