DEI Rollbacks continue across Kentucky

Many companies and universities in Kentucky are following back their diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives. 

DEI is designed to create more inclusive and diverse environments, but many Kentucky legislators are not convinced that DEI properly achieves this goal. DEI initiatives can be found anywhere, from college campuses to businesses and government agencies.

The University of Kentucky decided to disband its DEI office. However, no one in the Office for Institutional Diversity will be losing their jobs according to UK’s President Eli Capiluto. Instead, those who worked in the Office for Institutional Diversity will be joining other offices on campus. 

A new office, called the Office for Community Relations, has been created in place of the Office for Institutional Diversity.

The decision to dissolve the original Office for Institutional Diversity and replace it with this newer and more broadly focused office is due to the debate between state lawmakers on whether or not to limit the DEI initiatives in public universities. 

This issue was not resolved by the Kentucky House and Senate by the end of the last session in April. The issue is expected to be addressed in the next session at the beginning of 2025. 

The Council for Postsecondary Education’s (CPE) website states that “Diversity on campus benefits all students. As Kentucky and our nation become more diverse, it is crucial that the state’s campuses reflect this diversity to ensure graduates can thrive and be competitive in today’s workforce. This competitive advantage can benefit Kentucky’s economic outlook and the health and well-being of its citizens.” However, many legislators are skeptical that DEI will provide the advantage that CPE asserts

According to an article on the issue from Higher Ed Drive, Kentucky lawmakers were attempting to completely prohibit most of the DEI initiatives, programs, offices or training at public colleges. 

“Instead of promoting intellectual dialogue, individualism, the content of one’s character and merit-based practices,” Republican Kentucky Sen. Mike Wilson said, “DEI has driven a wedge against those of us who want to see Kentucky achieve greater things.”

Many of the universities and businesses that have decided to disband their DEI initiatives or offices recently have done so without having received a final decision on the matter from the House and the Senate.

Looking ahead to the possibility of DEI restrictions being instituted in the coming year, Capiluto decided to move forward and get rid of the Office of Institutional Diversity. However, President Capiluto hopes to continue to make the school more accessible to a diversity of employees and students through other means. 

The departments and programs that had previously been under the umbrella of the Office of Institutional Diversity will simply be reassigned to other offices. The Martin Luther King Center, for example, will be moved to the Office for Student Success. 

“Kentucky legislators have made clear to me in our conversations that they are exploring these issues again as they prepare for the 2025 legislative session,” Capilouto said in his announcement. “If we are to be a campus for everyone, we must demonstrate to ourselves and to those who support and invest in us our commitment to the idea that everyone belongs—both in what we say and in what we do.”

Written by news editors Landrie Nickell and Ashton Montgomery.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]