The importance of print media in a digital age

Most of us have favorite stories. Stories that remind us of our childhood. Stories that we return to again and again. Perhaps it’s a children’s book your parent read to you as a child. Or maybe it’s a novel that changed your perception of your teenage self. Whatever it may be, there’s nothing like going back and holding that familiar book in your hands. As the famous Neil Gaiman quote goes, “A book is a dream that you hold in your hands.” There’s something irreplaceable about the print medium.

We have often been told to write our class notes, not type them, because we retain the information better. A 2021 study from the Graduate School of Convergence Science and Technology at Seoul National University found that there is not a significant difference in understanding when reading off paper and reading off a screen. However, they did find that when reading print, there is a significantly higher perceived understanding. They stated, “[D]espite equal reading performance across all media, readers’ perceived understanding and perceived confidence levels were lower on digital devices than on print.” The study’s participants had greater confidence in their reading abilities when they were reading off of a physical piece of paper.

Printed paper also brings a sense of permanence. While books can be damaged, they are not subjected to the whims of technology. We have all had a bad Wi-Fi connection or software that unexpectedly gives out. Paper doesn’t pose the same risk. Not only that, but there is something about having a physical book in a physical space that brings a sense of connection. It’s a constant reminder that stories are there to keep you company.

Now, there are advantages to utilizing digital media. It is often cheaper, especially for college students who have to buy eight semesters’ worth of required readings; it is readily accessible, allowing you to have an entire book in front of you in a matter of seconds; your backpack is suddenly much lighter. But I don’t think these should push print media out of the scene. There are ways to make print more practical in the everyday lives of the college student.

One of Benjamin Franklin’s greatest contributions to day-to-day American life was the concept of the public library. Now, most colleges and universities have at least one library of their own. Asbury is no exception; Kinlaw Library has a wide selection of resources, both academic and entertaining. The best part? The books are free! You can also visit the Asbury Theological Seminary library, another option available for Asbury students. Take advantage of these resources as often as possible. You don’t have to drain your bank account to enjoy a physical book.

With the spreading perception that print media is impractical, the irreplaceable experience of the medium is currently being threatened. According to data from the United States Census Bureau, revenue for newspaper publishers dropped from about 46 billion dollars in 2002 to around 22 billion dollars in 2020. It more than halved, an alarming decline. Periodicals followed a similar trend. The market for print media is rapidly shrinking, and consumers are the only ones who can stop it.

In the end, the industry is what its users require it to be. If we are to see change, we must create it. Technology is not going away. It permeates everything that we do, often in useful ways.. But we also need to recognize that in this digital age we are living in, print media still has a place. So visit a bookstore, use your campus library, pick up a copy of your local paper. Keep the print media alive.

Fight to hold on to the stories that shape you.

Photo courtesy of CMKY.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]