Wilmore Fire Department celebrates 100 year anniversary

The Wilmore Fire Department is marking 100 years of service to the Wilmore community on Saturday, Sept. 28. The two-hour event will start at 10 a.m. and consists of a parade through Wilmore to City Hall, where there will be a host of activities and firetrucks to observe. 

The parade will feature Wilmore’s fire trucks, both old and new. Lieutenant Schaefer shared information on what types of trucks would be showcased in the parade. “We have our three pieces of apparatus, which are considerably newer, and we also have our antique fire engine. Other fire departments like Nicholasville also have an antique fire engine that they are going to be bringing.” 

Once at City Hall, people will have the opportunity to look inside the old and new fire trucks in a show-and-tell. Additionally, the fire department will have demonstrations with fire gear and equipment. 

There will also be food, firefighter games and a variety of activities including a dunking booth at the event.  

“Our members at the Wilmore Fire Department will be in the dunking booth where citizens can participate in throwing balls at the dunking booth,” said Schaefer. 

In addition to the fun activities that are available at the parade and event, there is also a more practical reason to come out and support the fire department. 

“A reason that they should come out and support us is to get to know the fire department because we’re in the middle of our recruitment process as well. It will let people know what the fire department does and understand why we do what we do,” said Schaefer. 

The origins of the Wilmore Fire Department can be traced to an incident in 1924 that involved a fire at the Glide Crawford dormitory at Asbury University. The fire was responded to by the Asbury Fire Department but outside help was needed to contain the fire. After the considerable damage the fire caused, the City of Wilmore created a city organized fire department. 

The Wilmore Fire Department has seen changes in the past 100 years. While the department used to only fight fires, today they also respond to medical situations, technical rescues and other situations. 

“The job of the fire service, we are always having new equipment, new ideas and new techniques, so the job is constantly changing. We’re always changing, evolving and updating our tools and tactics to move along with the time,” said Schaefer. 

The Wilmore Fire Department has been a part of Wilmore’s community for 100 years and has seen many changes. The celebration is a great way to recognize the 100 years of progress of the Wilmore Department and to look forward to the ways in which the department will advance in the future.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]