WGM Goat Roast Recap

Known as a classic staple of family weekend at Asbury, World Gospel Mission’s (WGM) Goat Roast is a fun event for the entire campus. Located right across the street from the CLC Business Center, WGM is a ministry that students can attend on Sunday nights for a service and dinner. The center is also open as a safe space throughout the week for students to do homework, be with friends and serve God. 

Since 2006, this tradition has been an outreach event given for the Asbury community and has become a trademark of the organization. Bringing in large crowds, the gathering is always one full of fun for all of the visitors for family weekend. While the event is called a Goat Roast, it does not simply revolve around goats. It was originally used as a way to introduce students to different cultures around the world. It is also a great showcase of the Wilmore and Asbury community. 

It is the first Goat Roast with a new director, Katy McKee, who joined the program as director at the beginning of the semester. Due to the rainy weather, the traditional meal of goat was unable to be prepared as usual, but that didn’t stop the event from being a success.

From 4-6 p.m., Saturday Sept. 28, the center was full of students and parents alike, all there to escape the rain and share time in fellowship with other Asburians. Everyone was just happy to be inside and have time to relax after a chaotic start to family weekend due to poor weather and power outages. Those coming in were greeted by the student leadership team and their goat roast buddies, or “gerbs.” Much of the event was run by these students, using their abilities to serve in this way. 

In the upstairs of the center was the box maze, a dark room filled with cardboard pieces put together as walls. It is always a big hit with children and adults alike, with anyone welcome to have their chance at conquering the maze. Made entirely by WGM staff and Asbury students, a great deal of elaborate planning goes into it every year. 

In the basement, there was a dessert lounge, hot cocoa and tea stand and live music. Performers included a variety of Asbury students who shared their talents and played everything from original songs to modern pop songs. The dessert bar had a variety of fun options, including cheesecake and caramel apples. Couches and chairs were filled with people chatting and feeling at home. 

Sophomore Jazmyn Lorentzen, who brought her family, said about her experience, “Probably my favorite moment was having the person in the goat costume  baa at me while I was in the box maze.” WGM’s Goat Roast is a welcoming event for all students on Asbury’s campus and gives another opportunity to socialize and have fun. It is truly a time that shows the heart of WGM as an organization and the services they provide to students all over campus.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]