$616 million allocated for improvements in Louisville

On March 28, Kentucky lawmakers passed two bills addressing the state’s budget. According to Mayor Craig Greenberg’s office, House Bills 1 and 6 provide a historic $616 million to go towards a variety of efforts in Louisville. 

“I am so grateful to the leadership of the Kentucky Senate and House, President Robert Stivers, Speaker David Osborne, Senator Julie Raque Adams, Senator Gerald Neal, Representative Jason Nemes, the entire Jefferson County delegation and every member of the General Assembly for supporting this historic investment in our city and state,” said Greenberg. “From downtown revitalization to improvements for our parks, support for community and social services, cultural organizations, education and more, every area of our community will benefit from this historic funding. By working together in a bipartisan way, we’re moving Louisville in a new direction toward a brighter future.” 

Greenberg first introduced his budget in April 2023 before the Louisville Metro Council. Months of advocacy efforts have resulted in $100 million of the total budget to be distributed over two years specifically for downtown revitalization once the state budget bills are signed by Gov. Andy Beshear. The influx in money will help fund several of the mayor’s priority projects, such as updating Louisville’s Belvedere— a historic space along the Ohio River. The Belvedere was once a frequent place for outdoor festivals but has fallen out of popularity. 

There used to be several festivals held, but “right now, I think the Mayor said there’s only seven a year— maybe,” said Rebecca Fleischaker, executive director of the Louisville Downtown Partnership. 

A portion of the $100 million will also go towards launching the city’s Community Care Campus to provide shelter and housing for the homeless population of Louisville. 

“The Community Care Campus is really important because I do think it’ll help take care of our street population that needs to be taken care of and helped, and I think that will help— especially the perception of safety in downtown,” said Fleischaker. 

Alongside downtown revitalization efforts, $11.5 million will be set aside for parks and library improvements, over $26 million for cultural and educational organizations and $6.5 million for infrastructure such as the Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport. 

$410,00 will also be used to support Thrive by 5 Louisville, the 501c3 nonprofit established by Greenberg to provide pre-K for every three and four-year-old in the city. The organization operates separately from the Louisville Metro Government and uses public and philanthropic funds to support the early learning workforce and offer financial assistance to help cover the cost of preschool. 

“This funding is going to help us create a safer, stronger and healthier Louisville and I am so excited to see the positive things that come from this bipartisan effort,” said Greenberg. 

$413 million will be provided for several projects at the University of Louisville (UofL). These projects include a state-of-the-art cancer research center, the Rural Dental Outreach Program and the Refugee Law Services Clinic among others. 

“I am thrilled for President Kim Schatzel and all of UofL on this tremendous level of funding which will help this institution and our city thrive for years to come,” said Greenberg. “This is a great foundation to build on for Louisville and we are just getting started.”